How to Nominate a Leader for the 2020 Leadership Character Awards
The 2020 Leadership Character Awards will be held at a luncheon on Tuesday, October 28 at the Georgia Aquarium and will recognize leaders of character across Georgia in the business, nonprofit and education sectors. The Leadership Character Awards were established in 2003 by Bob and Lyn Turknett as a way of honoring and reinforcing character in organizations, and over the years over 600 Georgia leaders have been nominated. The award recognizes the top recipients in six categories and over the past 18 years there have been more than 68 diverse award recipients.
The awards were designed to highlight and encourage the best in leadership. We believe that by lifting up leadership role models of character and telling their stories we inspire more people to lead and live with character. Criteria for the Awards are based on the Leadership Character Model. A model of the character needed for leadership, created in 1995.
Criteria for Nominations
Individual nominees must work either (a) within the state of Georgia OR (b) report to an organization’s department, division, or subsidiary located in Georgia.
The SIX categories (choose one) for nominations are:
- Business or Public Sector: CEO/President/Partner – Small Company – The senior executive or officer of the enterprise with 1,000 or fewer employees
- Business or Public Sector: CEO/President/Partner – Large Company – The senior executive or officer of the enterprise with 1,000 or more employees
- Business or Public Sector: Executive/Manager – A leader or manager at any level in the organization who has direct reports
- Non-profit – This category is for any level of individual who is on staff at a nonprofit with 501(c)(3) status. Volunteers are not eligible in this category.
- Education – Faculty members and administrators of any public or private not-for-profit educational institution.
- “Inspiritor” – Category for exceptionally inspiring people who choose leadership regardless of their title or position, e.g., volunteers, individual contributors, administrative assistants, programmers, technicians, sales or customer service representatives, etc.
To be considered, nominations need to be in progress by July 31st, 2020.
Winners in each category will be selected by the Advisory Board and announced at the Awards ceremony on October 28th.
- All nominees will be recognized at the Awards luncheon on October 28th.
- All Nominees will receive a complimentary seat.
- Winners in each category will be selected by the Advisory Boardand announced at the A Nominees may not be elected officials but all other public sector employees are eligible.
- Nominators need to submit a photo of their nominee no later than July 31st.
- Excerpts from nominations may be published. Please do not include personal or confidential information.
- Need inspiration? View past winning nominations here.
- Learn more about the Leadership Character Model® here.
- Click here for a list of past nominees and Lifetime Achievement Awards Winners here.
Thank you for being a person of action- someone who takes the step, who creates an opportunity, who makes a difference! By nominating someone for this award, you are saying that you stand up for Integrity, Responsibility, and Respect in leadership and highlighting inspiring examples of how to lead with character for young people to witness and model.
Here are a few words from John Yates, Partner Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP and a former Leadership Character Award winner.